Friday, May 20, 2011

A Proper Fruita Ride

Woken well too early & really struggling to get back to sleep, there was a bit of a sleep-in until eight. Poking my head out of the window eventually, there were less dark clouds hanging around than yesterday morning. With quick organisation, I was off out the door by myself (nice to have a bit of independence back & go off for a ride solo) & back at the Kokopelli trail head & riding by 9.15. With a bit of prior research, it looked like Mary's Loop, Horsethief Bench & Moore Fun trails were the ones to string together for a good introduction to the trails proper. More showers & then thunderstorms were forecast so I was keeping one eye on the trails & scenery & the other on the large black clouds gathering ominously over the river.

Mary's Loop started off with a nice climb up on to the bluffs above the river. It wasn't a particularly difficult climb - in fact this was quite good, as this was to be my longest ride of the season so far. In spite of the gloom the views aren't for scoffing at.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
After riding the bluff for a while, Horsethief Bench loop cuts off down to the left - that's it down there.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
The route down (dropping 25m in a hurry) was rideable to start with & then the rocks just got too big for me.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Yes, there's a trail down there; no, I couldn't ride it all.
This side loop was OK & there were enough rocks to make things interesting & technically challenging in a few places. In some of the shadier parts, the sand was still a little wet from yesterday's rain. I was pleased with some of the trickier step-ups & -downs I was able to clear.

While I remember, I'm going to digress to comment on my switch to tubeless. I went for a standard Stan's setup a month or two ago. I had a few problems getting the rear standard Maxxis Crossmark to seal, but mainly because I was trying to do it with a floor pump (it's a lot easier to get the bead to seat with a compressor). The front UST Kenda Nevegal went on easily with just a floor pump. Now that the tires are reliably inflated, I'm loving them. On all these rocks I've been running a much lower pressure that tubes would allow. In the last few days there have been five or six incidences where I've hit rocks that I'm sure would have given a tube a snakebite puncture. Actually, after my first rocky ride at Tabeguache I went to inflate my tires a bit & found they were running at 18 psi!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
After the Horsebench, unfortunately I had to go back up all those rocks - nothing like a bit of hike-a-bike - to get back on to Mary's Loop to ride around the bluffs once more on more double-track. All the while, the clouds were getting closer but I still wasn't wet.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
Eventually the trail turned away from the river & climbed up for a while to the start of Moore Fun. This was the option to get back to the car with the most singletrack & least road, so it was a no-brainer to take it. It turned out it was a double black, the first part was where a fair chunk of my six hundred metres of climbing for the day came from. Finally there was a decent amount of singletrack (as opposed to wide double-track), & it was rocky - there were plenty of bits where I had to walk. The rain had started by now (I'd got off remarkably well so far) & any dirt/sand quickly turned to awful mud that just stuck to everything. The views of the big black cloud were pretty good from the top.
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
The trail marking on the way down left a bit to be desired & I had a map & a GPS to follow (marking at intersections was great, but on the rocks in the wet it was sometimes hard to find the trail)! But I made it down off the ridge & in to more of that nasty sticky stuff. I made it back to the car (2.40 & about 23km) & was disappointed to see that there was no hose at the trailhead - it seems a bit odd (Have you got a hose? I need to get wet asep), considering how poorly the trails stand up to just a little bit of rain.

Great to get out for a decent ride & I didn't get too wet. Perhaps it because was I missed out on the views in the sun, but I can't quite see what all the fuss is about at Fruita - I've ridden much better trails with better views all around the place. None of the trails seemed to flow particularly well & quite a bit of the ride was spent on relatively tame double-track. Maybe I'll find something more interesting on Saturday (when we also mean to check out the Mike the Headless Chicken festival as the story behind it is interesting).

We had a great Nepalese meal downtown Grand Junction this evening - I even managed to remember my huge Nepalese vocabulary of four words & it brought back many great memories, I must get back to Nepal one day. Best statues of the day are Chrome on the Range II:
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
and a single-speeding dinosaur.

No comments:

Post a Comment